The 13 most disrespectful things from James Harden's crossover on Wesley Johnson, ranked
James Harden did something so disrespectful Wednesday night that the entire internet stopped what it was doing to marvel at it.
We all saw Harden cross over Wesley Johnson so bad he fell straight to the floor, and then we all started screaming when Harden didnât immediately take the step-back three. Instead, he just stared at him. He then buried it a couple seconds later. It was completely and utterly ruthless.
We came into the Rockets vs. Clippers game with memories of their last meeting on our mind, where Houston ultimately âchargedâ down a âsecret tunnelâ to the Clippers locker room to âfightâ them while teammates served as a âdecoyâ out front. (In actuality, it didnât quite go down like that, but, boy, that was a fun night.) Ultimat ely, only Trevor Ariza and Gerald Green were suspended.
Instead of getting more off-court tomfoolery or even some ejections, we got the Rockets clowning on Los Angeles, and specifically Harden clowning on Johnson, who might have to retire now. Itâs unfortunate, but sometimes this is just how careers end. Donât be sad that itâs over. Be happy it happened.
With that in mind, weâve ranked all the most disrespectful parts of Hardenâs devastating crossover.
13. The mindset
James Harden only has one thing going through his mind while playing: pic.twitter.com/biJRlSINOuâ" ESPN (@espn) March 1, 2018
12. The jersey pop
11. Whatever Harden must have yelled here
- âGET YOUR ASS OUT OF THE LEAGUE BEFORE I CROSSOVER YOUR WHOLE FAMILY.â
- âWESLEY, IF YOU NEED A NEW JOB AFTER THIS, I HEARD THE ATHLETIC IS HIRING.â
- âTHE GOOD NEWS IS THAT ALL THE RETWEETS THESE JOKES ARE GONNA GET WILL FUND TWITTER THROUGH 2022, WES. THE BAD NEWS IS YOU GOTTA RETIRE.â
Or maybe he just yelled âletâs goâ or something, I dunno.
10. This lady
When random Angelenos sitting courtside are even pointing you out in laughter, you know youâve done something wrong.
9. The bench reaction
Watch this again, but just focus on the bench.
Find friends tha t are as happy for your success as the Rockets bench is for James Harden.pic.twitter.com/RwMFzrfWwgâ" The Undefeated (@TheUndefeated) March 1, 2018
Is it time for a ... ranking within a ranking? It is. Here are the Rocketsâ bench reactions, ranked.
- P.J. Tucker literally just standing up and walking away after Johnson falls.
- Green crouching down just waiting for Harden to drill that shot.
- Ariza jogging up the sideline just because he canât believe Harden did that.
- Assistant coach Roy Rogers sitting down with his hand over his mouth because he doesnât want anyone seeing him grinning about how bad Harden just humiliated his defender.
- The rest of the bench. (Come on, guys, do something more interesting than standing up and yelling.)
It wasnât an elite bench reaction, but it added to the moment.
8. The crossover
It was a good crossover, but hardly spectacular. Harden may have put just enough of his shoulder into Johnson that he got his feet tangled. It was all over after that.
7. The postgame laugh
James Harden had to laugh before he even responded pic.twitter.com/cjIm9utvv6â" SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) March 1, 2018
6. The first stepback
Remember back in the day when you crossed someone over and then put up a jumper from where you were standing? Harden ainât about that life. Daryl Morey is still grinning gleefully somewhere after Harden decided to just hop on back behind the line.
5. The situation
That this was the first game between the Rockets and the Clippers since TunnelGate just makes everything so much juicier.
4. The final step back
I truly enjoy how casually Harden decides, âYeah, Iâll go ahead and get an extra point for this shot.â
3. The stare
You know that movie Interstellar, when they go onto the planet orbiting close to a black hole that causes time dilation, which makes an hour on that planet equal seven Earth years? Iâm almost positive thatâs what happened during Hardenâs stare.
I rewatched this play 100 times. Johnson doesnât hit the floor until 1:20 is on the clock, and when the shotâs out of Hardenâs hands, the clock says 1:18. But I know that he stared at Johnson for longer than two seconds. Iâm sure of it. I felt like we all lived what was actually several Earth years watching Harden just hang out watching Johnson before Milos Teodosic mercifully decides to end it. If Teodosic hadnât, and this goes on for a few more seconds, we might have all actually aged 50 years.
Somehow, there are two things even more disrespectful than this.
2. The score
LMAO. Like, câmon.
Houston won, 105-92, but they led by double digits for all but 28 seconds (when their lead was only eight) in the final three quarters. It wasnât close. The Rockets embarrassed Los Angeles, and they remain 31-1 with Harden, Chris Paul, and Clint Capela all playing.
1. The smile from Johnson himself
THIS MIGHT BE THE MOST DISRESPECTFUL PLAY IN NBA HISTORY. IT WAS SO DISRESPECTFUL THAT JOHNSON WASNâT EVEN MAD. HE JUST SMILED. HE JUST ACCEPTED HIS FATE. THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE HE COULD DO.
Next Up In NBA
- The best moments from Kobe Bryant and Shaquille OâNealâs conversation
- NBA stars tell us who theyâd pick to be on their Olympic bobsled team
- Giannis Antetokounmpo isn't the NBA's best-kept secret anymore. He's a star
- 13 reasons to watch Lonzo Ball this year even if you can't stand his dad
- The NBA's most artistic photographer captures emotions like you've never seen before
- Weâre predicting the top 101 players in the NBA ... in 2021